Dry Ice Blasting is similar to sand blasting where a medium is accelerated in a pressurized air stream to impact a surface to be cleaned. However, instead of using hard abrasive media to grind on and possibly damage a surface, dry ice blasting uses soft dry ice pellets at a temperature of -109.3Â°F. The "blasting" of the dry ice against the material to be removed causes it to shrink and lost adhesion from its sub surface. When some of the dry ice penetrates through the material to be removed, it comes into contact with the underlying surface. The warmer subsurface causes the dry ice to convert back into carbon dioxide gas. The gas has 800 times greater volume and expands behind the material, speeding up its removal. Some of the materials removed by this procedure include paint, oil, grease, asphalt, tar, decals, soot, dirt, ink, resins and adhesives. Only the removed material must be disposed of as the dry ice sublimes into the atmosphere.
Adhesives are easily removed in comparison to alternative methods as the lowered temperature serves to weaken the adhesive bond.
Dry ice cleaning is extremely effective in fire remediation. Toxic residues, soot and associated smells dissipate quickly when cleaned using this method.
Food and Hospital institutions use dry ice cleaning on the surface of products and instruments because it is nontoxic and stops the growth of mold, mildew and other fungi as well as stopping odors by elimination of the bacterial host environment, not as a masking agent or cover-up. Dry ice cleaning is 100% ecologically safe, USDA rated, biodegradable and harmless to humans, animals and marine life.
Dry Ice Blasting has many unique and superior benefits over traditional blasting media.
Dry Ice Blasting:
- Is a nonabrasive, nonflammable, cleaning method
- Is environmentally friendly and contains no secondary contaminants such as solvents or grit media
- Is clean and approved for use in the food and medical industries
- Can be used without damaging active electrical or mechanical parts or creating fire hazards
- Removes production residues, release agents, contaminants, paints and oils
- Allows most items to be cleaned in place without disassembly
- Can be used for many general cleaning applications
Dry Ice Blasting is an efficient and way for industries to maximize production capability and quality. Call Antonsen Construction for more detailed information about Dry Ice Blasting and how it could benefit your business.